Consider today’s show something of a followup to Wednesday’s regularly scheduled episode. There was one segment on UK/Turkey and on Cameron’s disastrous Ankara gambit, and since then news has trickled out directly linking the White House to that wretched little spectacle. That segment included a bit on how breathtakingly unremarkable quotidian Muslim entitlement has become in the UK, and there’s also been an update to that story worth covering.
Then there was a second segment on the US’s marked inability to get the Palestinians to stop glorifying the murder of Jews. Since then an advanced Grad rocket was launched from Gaza and Abbas has strategically delayed peace talks until he can blame the breakdown on Israel. Meanwhile liberal American Jews are again penning anti-Israel propaganda – duly published by Foreign Policy, natch – blaming the Israelis for not trusting Obama and the Palestinians enough to take risks for peace. Because that’s what’s holding up the peace process.
We should probably also block out some time to talk about Egypt, a nation long described in these pages as a disgruntled general and a bullet away from being the most dangerous country on the planet. Things there have not exactly improved since the government started covering up Mubarak’s illness, and of course what happens in Egypt directly impacts what happens in Gaza. Plus Egypt mirrors Turkey as a place where Obama obsequiously sucked up to the Arab and Muslim world, only to see the people he was sophisticatedly engaging slide further into the Islamist orbit and ramp up persecutions of Christians and Jews.
The day and time aside, everything else with the show is as it always is. At 4:30pm you’ll be able to tune in live to One Jerusalem Radio’s Omri Ceren Show on Blog Talk Radio either by going to the main show page or by visiting the page for this evening’s episode. The chat room and switchboard will both be open. Official blurb:
Omri addresses the Obama administration’s continued efforts to erode Israel’s diplomatic position, including the rumors linking the UK’s renewed hostility to a broader White House strategy. Meanwhile both Palestinian camps continue to explicitly reject Israel’s peace overtures, with incitement continuing to pour out of the West Bank and rockets continuing to pour out of Gaza, while Egypt slips further into the Islamist orbit. The administration’s diplomatic failures in Egypt, which parallel the White House’s failed engagement in Turkey, also threaten to cascade across the region and further destabilize the Middle East.
I’m still playing around with the opening segment, so if you’ve got suggestions for the topic feel free to IM or Twitter.
* Weekly TOCS, “Anglo Appeasement” At 6:30pm PDT, Cameron In Turkey, Obama On Proximity Talks, Etc. [Mere Rhetoric]
* How Not to Conduct Diplomacy: A Case Study: UK PM in Turkey [Rubin Report]
* David Cameron Has Been to Washington. He Got The Message…And Now He’s Delivering It. [TNR]
* Banned from Parliament [Richard Millett]
* Rocket prompts complaint to UN [JPost]
* Israel believes Abbas will bide time on direct talks until settlement freeze nears end [Ha'aretz]
* Obama, Abbas, and calling the ‘direct talks’ bluff [Lara Friedman / Peace Now / FP Middle East Channel]
* Egypt Is Kind Of Insane, Dangerous [Mere Rhetoric]
* Great News: Egypt Modernizing Its Army With Cutting-Edge Military Tech [Mere Rhetoric]
* MESS Report / Mubarak’s health seriously deteriorating, possibly from cancer [Ha'aretz]
* ‘Mubarak has a clean bill of health’ [JPost]
* Egypt Versus Gaza [Rubin / GLORIA]
* Coptic Christians Voicing Frustration With White House As Persecution Widens in Egypt [NY Sun]
* And justice for all? [YNet]
* Offensive Diplomacy [One Jerusalem Radio's Omri Ceren Show]