Mere Rhetoric, April 10, 2008:
2010 will eventually roll around and newspapers will be publishing ledes like “some analysts suggest that the Obama White House is facing the most significant crisis in American-Israeli relations in decades.” In a desperate attempt to absolve themselves of their own pretentious complicity in the international ostracism of the Jewish State, the 75 percent of American Jews who voted for Obama will join the rest of the left in scapegoating Israel.
Washington Post, March 13, 2010:
Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton rebuked Israeli Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu on Friday about the state of the U.S.-Israeli relationship, demanding that Israel take immediate steps to show it is interested in renewing efforts to achieve a Middle East peace agreement. State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley described the nearly 45-minute phone conversation in unusually undiplomatic terms, signaling that the close allies are facing their deepest crisis in two decades after the embarrassment suffered by Vice President Biden this week when Israel announced during his visit that it plans to build 1,600 housing units in a disputed area of Jerusalem.
As for the “pro-Israel” Jewish groups who are, along with gleeful anti-Israel partisans and thuggish former Arafat advisers, piling on the Jewish State – this propaganda from the Israel Policy Forum landed in my inbox as a press release last week. It gushes about how the US is becoming an “honest and credible mediator,” which is strange since Clinton first acknowledged that East Jerusalem construction would continue under the freeze and then claimed to be “insulted” when East Jerusalem construction continued under the freeze. Not very honest or credible! The press release also declared “to the Israelis, we can communicate that moving forward with this East Jerusalem construction at this time would be considered an affront to the United States.” Which means that in addition to being moronic, these idiots are also imperious pricks.
JStreet, of course, is exactly where you’d expect them to be. The group pioneered using manufactured media stunts to damage Israel, so it’d be churlish of them not to lend a hand here. They shamelessly lied about being snubbed by politicians on a trip to Israel, used the fabricated incident to whip up anti-Israel sentiment and then set up a dedicated webpage to gloat about the results. After the damage had been done they admitted that the whole thing was a huge mix-up on their part. How’s that for “expanding the notion of pro-Israel”?
By the way, this post and the last one really aren’t meant to be “I told you so” posts. Exactly the opposite. Everyone knew that this was how things would play out. Obama was obviously going to detonate the US-Israeli alliance because his advisers believe that it’s in the US’s interest to detonate the US-Israeli alliance. Anti-Israel Jewish groups like the IPF and JStreet were obviously going to side with Israel’s opponents because they always side with Israel’s opponents.
It was equally obvious that ostensibly pro-Israel Democratic voters would slide from “Obama will be pro-Israel” to “it’s Israel’s fault that Obama is anti-Israel.” What else were they going to do? Admit that they desperately latched onto the National Jewish Democratic Council’s smears and lies as pretexts for voting Democratic? Acknowledge that they willfully deceived themselves on the basis of the dumbest arguments because they wanted to guilelessly vote how they always vote? If they had that kind of intellectual honesty they wouldn’t be in this position.
References and related after the jump…
* Anti-Israel Activists To Anti-Israel Voters: Don’t Worry, We Pretty Much Own Obama [MR]
* Clinton rebukes Israel over East Jerusalem plans, cites damage to bilateral ties [WaPo]
* Welcome to Israel, Mr. Vice-President! [Walt / FP]
* The Petraeus-Mullen briefings [Rozen / Politico]
* Post-Biden Visit: Accountability Needed in the Mideast [Joseph / IPF / Jewish Journal]
* J Street Backs Obama in Row With Israel [WSJ Blogs]
* ‘J Street lied about supposed Ayalon boycott, apology’ [JPost]
* Blind on J Street [Goldberg / Atlantic]
* J Street Education Fund Congressional Mission: Press Coverage [JStreet.org]
* J Street in Israel [Smith / Politico]
* J Street to ‘expand notion of pro-Israel’ [JPost]
* Confirmed: US-Israeli Alliance Plummets Into “Historic Crisis,” Obama Triggers Worst Relations Since Carter | Mere Rhetoric [MR]
* Palin Speech Now Online, Liberal Jewish Groups Reach New Heights Of Pro-Obama Denials, Fabrications, And Smears [MR]
* Of Course: “Pro-Israel” J-Street Is More Anti-Israel Than Israel’s Sworn Enemies, Equates Israeli Self-Defense With Hamas Violence [MR]
* Pro-Obama Jewish Groups: The Pre-1967 Arab Stranglehold On Israel Was “Pretty Wonderful” [MR]
* Pro-Obama Jewish Group’s Anti-RJC Smears Are Asinine, False [MR]
* NJDC: Biden Is Pro-Israel Because… Umm… Err… Because He Just Is OK? [MR]
* Obama Isn’t Anti-Israel Because… Umm… Err… Because He Just Isn’t OK? [MR]