Just a quick jaunt down memory lane, the better to put into context the faux outrage being expressed at the gametime Tebow commercial. First the lighthearted Focus on the Family piece, which shows Tim Tebow tackling his mom and her jumping up and jokingly chiding him:
“Violence against Moms,” intoned Amanda Marcotte. “Violence against women,” declared Women’s Media Center president Jehmu Greene. Which is weird, because it’s much more outrage than they expressed at this much worse GOTV spot from the 2008, which had explicit hostility channeled into actual physical violence:
The Tebow commercial oozes affection and shows Pam Tebow as the opposite of injured. The Palin commercial celebrates rage, showing Palin getting physically battered, slammed to the ground, and verbally assaulted – and that because of her political views. You’d think all those images would be much more troubling to feminists, what with the whole “it’s actual celebration of actual violence with actual misogynist undertones” thing.
But site searches on Marcotte’s home blog don’t show any hits for “terry tate” or for tate palin. Though in fairness the first hit for tebow is a post with the phrase “Tebow ‘women are nothing but vessels for male offspring’ clan.” So there’s that.
Maybe Marcotte really did upbraid her fellow liberals over the ad, except she did it somewhere that wasn’t her blog. Like maybe in the comments section of the Gawker post about the commercial, where commenter Poodle_Heart echoed the author’s enthusiasm at Tate “kicking Sarah Palin’s ass,” gushing “ya, know, golly, normally i’d be, uh, opposed to violence against women, you betcha’ but, fucking hell, i can make an exception this time.” That would have been a good place for some withering feminist anger.
But no, I don’t really see her there either. Maybe her post is elsewhere on the Internet. Although it doesn’t look that way. Maybe it’s just somewhere Google doesn’t index.
* Horror: Gametime Tebow ad features domestic violence! Update: Prediction fulfilled [Hot Air]
* Tebow: Hey Mom! Tried to kill you from the womb and failed. How about a blind side tackle? Violence against Moms FTW! (via @MarcFaletti) [@AmandaMarcotte]
* Long-awaited Tebow ad airs on Super Bowl with soft-sell antiabortion message and light tone [LAT]
* Charming GOTV Videos: Commercial Icon Repeatedly Slams Palin Into The Ground (Plus: Severe PDS In San Fran Preventing Yuppies From Indulging In Effete Wine) [MR]
* Terry Tate is Back! And He’s Kicking Sarah Palin’s Ass! [Gawker]