This is the organization that simultaneously admitted that Hamas was manufacturing the fuel crisis and blamed Israel anyway. Because Hamas’s actions, you see, were really well-intentioned:
Gaza’s main fuel distributor is holding back one million litres of fuel, UN figures showed on Monday a day after Israel claimed Hamas was stage-managing a crisis in the Palestinian territory. However, a UN official who requested anonymity said that the current stocks of fuel and industrial gasoline stored in Gaza are sufficient for only several days. “The general petroleum association refuses to distribute in protest of the lack of supply of fuel by Israel,” he said. The Palestinian General Petroleum Corporation is responsible for the distribution of fuel across the Hamas-run territory, where the union of petrol station owners went on strike several days ago in protest at the fuel cuts.
So maybe they’re not the most objective adjudicators when it comes to humanitarian crises. Ten of thousands of liters of fuel were mishandled by Gaza Palestinians and blew up – and it was Israel’s fault that there was no fuel. More broadly, Hamas has impoverished the entire Gaza Strip:
One way is to just say that the ‘Palestinians’ are lying. While that’s possible, I doubt that they could succeed in holding the world’s attention for such a long time if they were lying outright. Moreover, if they were really starving because of Israel’s blockade, wouldn’t measures like releasing millions of shekels into Gaza – as Israel did last week – at least allow them to buy life’s necessities that (as we all know) are being ‘smuggled’ in through the tunnels from Rafah under the watchful eyes of the Egyptians? I think I may have figured out the truth, and it may surprise some of you. You see, there are Gazans who are starving. But Israel’s not to blame. Their leadership is to blame… There is money in Gaza. There are goods available for purchase in Gaza. The problem is that the money is all in the hands of the Hamas thugs. The average person has none.
How dumb can “it’s Israel’s fault” scapegoating get? This dumb:
UNRWA is upset at blaming Israel for its teachers not telling their young charges that firing rockets at civilians is wrong: “[UNRWA chief John Ging] voiced particular exasperation at the ban on importing paper which UNRWA needs for printing school text books and a new curriculum on human rights, calling it shameful, appealing for common sense to prevail, and stressing that the new rights programme would instil in the young how wrong it is to fire rockets.”
You’d think that the old curriculum on human rights would have already emphasized that it’s wrong to fire rockets at Israeli schools and hospitals. Apparently not. For completion’s sake here’s the “UNRWA is the problem” video – complete with a description of their current curriculum – that was getting passed around a little while ago:
But if Israel gave them more paper, that would solve everything.
* GOP leaders want Gaza funds pulled [JTA]
* UN Chief: Yeah, I Guess It Sucks That We’ve Been Helping Hamas Shell Israeli Civilians For Eight Years [MR]
* ‘UNRWA offers political cover to Hamas’ [EJC]
* Congress: Hey, Has Anyone Heard About This “We Fund UNRWA And UNRWA Funds Hamas” Rumor? [MR]
* One million litres of fuel withheld in Gaza: UN [AFP]
* 50,000 liters of fuel for Gaza up in smoke [Elder]
* So this is why Gazans are ‘starving’ [Israel Matzav]
* Guess what UNRWA blames Israel for now? [Elder]
* UNRWA is part of the problem (video) [Elder]
* UN: "Clerical Error" Made Us Mistakenly Think Israel Bombed UNRWA School. Opps.
* UN Chief: Yeah, I Guess It Sucks That We’ve Been Helping Hamas Shell Israeli Civilians For Eight Years
* Palestinian Witnesses: Of Course Hamas Fired Mortars From UN School