Guilty on all 108 counts:
On their second try, federal prosecutors won sweeping convictions Monday against five leaders of a Muslim charity in a retrial of the largest terrorism-financing case in the United States since the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. The five defendants, all leaders of the Holy Land Foundation for Relief and Development, based in Richardson, a Dallas suburb, were convicted on all 108 criminal counts against them, including support of terrorism, money laundering and tax fraud. The group was accused of funneling millions of dollars to the Palestinian militant group Hamas, an Islamist organization the government declared to be a terrorist group in 1995.
Andrew Cochran over at CT Blog is wondering why this isn’t the final word about the US government’s association with de facto convicted unindicted co-conspirators like CAIR:
After all, the naming of an unindicted co-conspirator is no small matter; it’s actively discouraged by the Justice Department. The U.S. Attorneys Manual at DOJ advises federal prosecutors to avoid naming them. A prosecutor can’t just throw a list out there… CAIR, ISNA, and NAIT asked the judge in the second trial to delete their organizations from that list, but he has refused thus far, apparently validating the list… it is a conflict of interest for any federal or state government agency to have a business relationship with any of the unindicted co-conspirators in the HLF case. It’s especially preposterous for the FBI to continue in a business relationship with CAIR.
Yeah, I dunno. CAIR officials were treated to repeated meetings with multiple Obama officials throughout the campaign and ran illegal mosque-driven GOTV efforts. And while Obama hasn’t exactly displayed stellar loyalty to friends, colleagues, and family members – he can’t be eager to throw US Muslims under the bus because of a story that will be dead by Inauguration Day.
Plus: Democrats have taken to condescendingly instructing American Jews to “reach out to” to CAIR. If you take that away from them what will they really have left? Except the US federal government that they’re running despite their obvious inability to not recommend and defend terrorist financiers, I mean.
* Five Convicted in Terrorism Financing Trial [NYT]
* HLF Guilty Verdict Should Terminate Government & Business Relationships With UICCs [CT Blog]
* Video: Obama Outreach Coordinator Meets With CAIR Reps, Terrorist-Endorsing Preachers (Plus: FBI Testimony Links CAIR To Terrorists) [MR]
* UN-INDICTED CO-CONSPIRATOR CAIR URGES MUSLIMS TO REGISTER AT MOSQUES, VOTE OBAMA [Atlas]
* Democratic Recommendations For Israeli and American Jews [MR]
* New EU Court Rulings Mean That Obama’s "Strong Carrots, Strong Sticks" Iran Strategy Now Only Carrots
* American Libraries Refusing To Remove Banned Book On Jihad Financing (Plus: The WSJ’s Fight Against Libel Tourism)
* Vast Financial War On Terrorism Going Kind Of OK, Actually