Admiration for U.S. president-elect Barack Obama extended across much of the Middle East yesterday with Palestinians in particular holding out hope he would be the answer to their prayers. However, Palestinian pollster Jamil Rabah cautioned against reading too much into such wide-eyed support. “They like this guy because he’s black, because he’s not the typical blue-eyed white Westerner. But they don’t know anything about what he stands for. “They’re investing so much in what they think he promises, because he’s not George Bush,” Mr. Rabah said. “They see in him what they want to see, but they’re setting themselves up for disappointment.” If some Palestinians were reading too much good into the president-elect, most Israelis were seeing a lot that was bad.
Just think how much more enthused they’d be if they knew about Khalidi. And yeah, the rest of the Middle East is indeed pretty psyched as well.
If you’re looking for someone to blame but feeling a little overwhelmed by Mere Rhetoric’s strategy of blindly hating large swaths of American Jewry, feel free to direct all of your antipathy toward this guy. Not necessarily because the election is his fault. More just because he’s an enormous tool.
* Matthew Yglesias: Anti-Semitic Genocidal Maniacs Are Hip, Terrorists Are Fashionable (UPDATED AND BUMPED: Yglesias Article From Today Predictably Anti-Semitish) [MR]
* #14 Having Black Friends [Stuff White People Like]
* Palestinians, Israelis see Obama differently [Globe And Mail]
* Genocidal Lunatics And Vicious Terrorists Helpfully Illustrate Negative Connotations Of “Change” For American Electorate [MR]
* Exit Polls: 77% Of American Jews Confirmed Social Scientific Finding About How They’re Total Morons [MR]
* Sderot father waits for White House invite [JPost]
* So That’s Where Obama Learned To Talk Like An Obsessed Anti-Semitic Academic
* Democrats Outraged Over Jewish-Issues Poll Questions That Are… Umm… Demonstrably True
* New Palin Smear: She Supports Hamas (Plus: Obama’s Anti-Israel FP Sensibility, Support From Hamas)