A 33-year-old gay Palestinian man petitioned the High Court of Justice on Sunday, asking it to grant him permanent residency in Israel so that he may live with his partner, who lives in the central Israeli city of Bat Yam. The man, a resident of the northern West Bank village of Tamon, further claimed to fear for his life, since his family refuses to accept his sexual orientation and may try to harm him… The man chose to continue living with his lover in Israel, unbeknown to his family, but unfortunately, relatives residing in Jaffa informed his father that he was “still hanging out with homosexuals.”
Homosexuality is not explicitly referred to in Egypt’s legal code, but a wide range of laws covering obscenity, prostitution and debauchery are applied to homosexuals in this conservative country… Egyptian secret police have been quite literally hunting down gay men for at least half a decade. They troll online chatrooms and set up wire taps to entrap homosexuals – who are then summarily arrested and subjected to degradation and torture.
After the jump, other countries that are also not Israel.
Bruce Bawer kindly sends in an Islamic tolerance alert from Bosnia… Jyllands-Posten reports that yesterday, shortly after the opening ceremonies of a gay festival in Sarajevo — the first such event ever held in Bosnia — Muslim men fell upon participants and beat them up, shouting “Kill the gays” and “Allahu akbar.” Some were dragged out of their cars… the report indicates that it took a “massive” number of police to stop the violence.
I phoned my partner back home in Oslo only to learn that moments earlier he had been confronted at a bus stop by two Muslim youths, one of whom had asked if he was gay, started to pull out a knife, then kicked him as he got on the bus… If the bus hadn’t come when it did, the encounter could have been much worse. Not very long ago, Oslo was an icy Shangri-la of… respect for the law. But in recent years, there have been grim changes, including a rise in gay-bashings. The summer of 2006 saw an unprecedented wave of them. The culprits, very disproportionately, are young Muslim men.
Two men in Saudi Arabia have been sentenced to 7000 lashes each after being convicted of sodomy and have received their first round of punishment in public, a newspaper has reported. The men, who were not identified, were meted out an unspecified number of lashes in public…But sophistication demands that we engage Saudi Arabia. Because they can obviously be won over if we just show them how much more rational our way of life is.
QUIT is a gay organization whose site begins as follows: “as queers, we are part of an international movement for human rights that encompasses the movement for Palestinian liberation, and all other liberation movements. We are also part of the growing international movement seeking active ways to express our solidarity with the people of Palestine.” This is because QUIT is made up of blistering idiots.
* Gay Palestinian fears for life, seeks residency in Israel [YNet]
* Photographs To Help Explain Why There Are No Homosexuals In Iran [Content Warning: Graphic Photos] (Updated: Video Added) [MR]
* "Kill the gays! Allahu akbar!" [Spencer]
* First They Came for the Gays [PJM]
* Muslims Brutally Attack Gay Man in Washington [YouTube / DebbieSchlussel]
* Egyptian Persecution, Torture Of AIDS Victims Proceeding On Schedule – 5 Men Sentenced To Prison For Homosexuality [MR]
* Saudi Arabia Sentences Men To 7000 Lashes For Being Gay [MR]
* Taliban-Era Photos Prove That Brutal Islamist Repression Of Sexuality Not So Successful, Kind Of Surreal
* In Contrast To Iran, Israel Has That Phenomenon Of Gay People
* IHT Publishes Repugnant Sophisticated Excuses For Legally Mandated Iranian Sexism