This entire post could’ve been done just with links to the MSNBC rumor machine. But I’m kind of choked up after last night’s bittersweet news – think of all the great times that now we’ll never have. Plus, focusing exclusively on one source would underplay the breadth and depth of these people’s pathetic melodramatics:
1. Denial – This was probably the most surreal stage, with Obama campaign eventually elevating unblinking denial into a campaign smear. The Atlantic ran an article entitled “the Eagleton Scenario” and the NYT published an op-ed gently and kingly suggesting that Palin “should withdraw” to avoid humiliation. InTrade shares on Palin being replaced spiked to almost 15. When that didn’t work, the left seamlessly transitioned to a different wishful denial.
2. Anger – Jeffrey Bell has suggested that the left’s hateful anger toward Palin has to do with the ideological grip that social issues have on the movement. That’s not entirely false. But there’s certainly a more sympathetic reading: they’re just trying to cope. Still – DU threads like this one are insanely venomous even by the left’s usual standards.
3. Bargaining – The Obama campaign is quickly learning that “our Presidential pick is slightly more experienced than your Vice Presidential pick” is an unhappy argumentative place to be. So – how about Palin/McCain? What about Palin vs. Clinton? Anything but a veteran Senator for President with an energetic and galvanizing – but still inexperienced – governor as his running mate.
4. Depression – Last night’s 54-44 Gallup poll has forced liberals to move into this next stage. Under the headline “shattered”, TNR is declaring that “the Palin pick is disheartening on so many levels.” Josh Marshall, having posted the Gallup poll, has become noticeably despondent. Again – it’s sad, but it’s all part of the natural coping process.
5. Acceptance – From this political community? Yeah, not so much.
* MS-NBC dropping Olbermann, Matthews? Update: NYT confirms they’re out as election-coverage anchors [Hot Air]
* Report: Obama Surrogates Urged To Mention Eagleton On Palin [Ambinder]
* The "Eagleton Scenario" [Joshua Green]
* McCain’s McGovern Moment [NYT]
* Intrade market sees 14.6 percent chance Palin withdrawn [Reuters]
* Why They Hate Her [Weely Standard]
* McCain-Palin becoming Palin-McCain? [AP]
* Clash of the Titans [Dowd]
* Charlie Gibson agreed to have his nuts cut out — according to Josh Marshall. [Althouse]
* Poll: Convention lifts McCain over Obama [USA Today / Gallup]
* CNN Spends Evening Searching For Democrat Who Can Explain Why Anti-Palin Smears Don’t Reek Of Sexism. Fails. (Plus: Guess When "Shrill" Used To Be Sexist)
* New Leftist Meme: Palin "Solved Jewish Problem" That Obama Never Really Had (Plus: Anti-Palin "Buchanan Endorsement" Meme Also A Lie)
* Turns Out, The Devout Republican Evangelical Governor Of Alaska Has A Soft Spot For Israel