Remember that time when Obama was being advised by fiercly anti-Israel guru Zbigniew Brzezinski? And then his campaign issued a statement and said that Brzezinski wasn’t actually an adviser? Except that he was? Or that other time when Obama was not being advised by mildly pro-Israel expert Dennis Ross? And then his campaign issued a statement and said that Ross was actually an adviser? Except that he wasn’t?
Or that third time when Obama’s VP was a guy who threatened to slash aid to Israel just as Israel was engaged in the harshest fighting of the Lebanon War? And then Obama’s supporters issued releases that said that Biden never actually did that? Except that, in an outstanding catch by Yisrael Medad, he very much did:
Peretz writes: “Is it likely that a nasty exchange between the prime minister of Israel and a distinguished Democratic senator would not have been noticed? By anyone, by me, for example?” Well, Peretz is wrong…. New York Times, June 23, 1982: At the Senate Foreign Relations Committee hearing, however, both Mr. Begin and several senators were said by participants at the meeting to have been bristling with anger….The bitterest exchange was said to have been between Mr. Begin and Senator Joseph R. Biden Jr… New York Times, June 24, 1982: Reporting on his meetings with the members of Congress, Mr. Begin said one of the senators had threatened to cut off aid if Israel continued creating settlements in the West Bank. The senator is reported to have been Joseph R. Biden Jr., Democrat of Delaware,
Seems pretty straightforward, no? Although in fairness to Peretz – and to all the other official and unofficial Obama surrogates struggling to explain why this isn’t the most anti-Israel ticket evuh – Lexis is really hard to use.
And finally: remember that time when Biden preemptive sold out of Israel and officiously instructed Israeli officials that they’d have to accept a nuclear-armed Iran? And then the Obama campaign and its supporters issued releases that said that Biden never did that? Here’s a fun game: Goldberg’s pushback in the last link says that Israeli press retracted their statements and links to this JPost article to prove it. Click through that link and see if it reads like a retraction to you rather than a reiteration of the Obama campaign’s bald and oh-so-trustworthy denials (hint: not so much). They really are just making things up at this point.
* Obama Defenders: What Brzezinski Guy? (Plus: That’s Not Even Their Worst Argument) [MR]
* Obama’s “Pro-Israel Advisers” Don’t Actually Exist. As Such. [MR]
* Did Biden Call for a Cut-Off in Aid to Israel? [Commentary]
* Biden’s Good Enough for Me [TNR]
* Peretz Trusts His Memory – Which Failed Him [My Right Word]
* Biden: Obama will surrender on nukes to Iran; Update: AOL Hot Seat Poll added [Hot Air]
*Obama camp denies report Biden said Israel will have to reconcile to nuclear Iran [Ha'aretz]
* Biden camp says report on Iran a lie [JPost]
* Mel Levine’s Defense Of Obama: He’ll Make Obsessed Anti-Israel Lunatics Love The US. Presumably By Magic.
* CNN: Obama, Clinton "Clearly Uncomfortable" Criticizing Carter’s Hamas Visit
* Obama May Or May Not Think That Israel Is An Important US Ally