The National Jewish Democratic Council is now dividing its time between hysterically attacking Republicans who point out Obama’s anti-Israel proclivities and publishing mind-bendingly awful arguments to hide Biden’s anti-Israel proclivities:
The head of a major Jewish Democratic organization praised Barack Obama on Saturday for an “outstanding selection” in tapping Sen. Joe Biden of Delaware to be his vice presidential running mate. “Biden is a strong leader and great friend of the American Jewish community with extensive foreign policy experience and a solid pro-Israel record,” Ira Forman, the executive director of the National Jewish Democratic Council said Saturday. “Biden embodies the Jewish ideal of practicing tikkun olam – repairing the world and has a strong commitment to issues important to the Jewish community including, civil liberties, civil liberties, reproductive rights for women, education, health care, the environment, opposition to radical right wing judicial appointees, combating violence against women, and maintaining a strong wall between church and state,” Forman said.
The really interesting thing about is that the NJDC isn’t even trying to justify the claim that Biden’s pro-Israel. Sure, they’re saying he’s pro-Israel (because of course they are). But among Biden’s myriad ostensible virtues, Forman can’t even make up a reason that he’s pro-Israel. Which is fine if you don’t think that Israel should be a decisive issue in the 2008 election. Fair enough – people can debate about that.
But the debate can’t even start as long asDemocrats just unblinkingly asserts – in this case on the basis of quite literally zero evidence or reasoning – that their candidates have anything but objectively anti-Israel records or sensibilities. Because while Biden does have strong ties to the American Jewish community, it’s not because he’s pro-Israel. More exactly the opposite.
* Obama Complains About Smears From Jewish Groups… And He’s Not Totally Wrong (Plus: He’s Still Kind Of Wrong) [MR]
* Biden has ‘solid pro-Israel record,’ says head of Jewish Democratic group [Ha'aretz]
* Biden and the Jews: Strong ties and friendly disagreements [Wisconsin JChron]
* In Denver, Jewish Dems Kvell Over Biden [NY Sun]
* MR Has A Question For Democratic Jews: Are You Fucking Retarded? [MR]
* This Week’s Litany Of Reasons Why Democratic Jews Are Either Anti-Israel Or Lying To Themselves
* Memo To Democratic Jews: "US Engagement In The Peace Process" Is Bad For Israel, Barack Obama Edition
* Democratic Recommendations For Israeli and American Jews