Remind us again: three times is a trend right?
Barack Obama has another chance, and it comes from someone within his own circle. James Meeks, former state senator, pastor of another South Side church, and both a political ally and “spiritual adviser” of Obama, blamed “Hollywood Jews” for bringing the world Brokeback Mountain. And Meeks also has a lot of antipathy towards a key Democratic voting group — gays and lesbians… A spring 2007 newsletter from the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) named Meeks one of the “10 leading black religious voices in the anti-gay movement”… On a more personal level, Meeks has reportedly blamed “Hollywood Jews for bringing us Brokeback Mountain” and actively campaigned to defeat SB3186, an Illinois LGBT non-discrimination bill… That sounds pretty similar to Reverend Eric Lee, who blamed “Hollywood Jews” for negative stereotypes in popular culture at an event commemorating Martin Luther King earlier this month.
Now the thing is that Obama’s spiritual advisers – Wright and Lee and now Meeks – are pretty unsophisticated when they’re branding Jewish art as degenerate (they’re not particularly original either, but that’s probably a separate post).
Obama’s foreign policy team, on the other hand, is much more careful. You’ll never find subtle minds like Malley, Susan Rice, Power, Kurtzer or Brzezinski scapegoating American Jews for the world’s ills – although Brzezinski still came so close that the campaign had to disingenuously deny he was an adviser right before they disengenuously claimed that Dennis Ross was working for the campaign. But that group largely limits itself to merely blaming the Jewish State for the brunt of American failures in the Middle East up to and including the failure of Oslo II. Their collective solution? Do everything possible to pressure Israel to give up land – or, failing that, just go ahead and invade. Yes, really
Oh – except there was that time that Obama military adviser Tony McPeak blamed the Iraq War on American Jews. That wasn’t very subtle. Maybe the Democratic pundits on this morning’s Sunday shows – to say nothing of Lawrence O’donnell on HuffPo – are onto something with this Wes Clark For VP idea. He’d fit in perfectly.
UPDATE: Looks like Meeks isn’t the only Obama spiritual adviser being talked about this morning for his anti-Semitism.
* Anti-semitism Barack Obama can fight! [Hot Air]
* Obama: I have a deep faith [Chicago Sun Times]
* Degenerate art [Wiki]
* Obama Defenders: What Brzezinski Guy? (Plus: That’s Not Even Their Worst Argument) [MR]
* Obama’s “Pro-Israel Advisers” Don’t Actually Exist. As Such. [MR]
* Obama’s Foreign Policy Advisers Not Exactly Fans Of The Jewish State (Plus: Brzezinski Snubs Israel After Tete-A-Tete With Assad) [MR]
* Top Obama Foreign Policy Adviser: No Seriously, We Are Totally Going To Screw Israel When We Get Into Power [MR]
* Obama Draws Line In The Sand: Invading Israel OK But Calling Hillary A Mean Name Is A Firing Offense [MR]
* Top Obama Adviser Explains Iraq War: Turns Out, It’s The Jews’ Fault. Again. (Plus: Ha’aretz Political Correspondent’s Pro-Obama Apologism Getting Increasingly Desperate) [MR]
* Wesley Clark for VP! [HuffPo]
* Obama May Or May Not Think That Israel Is An Important US Ally
* Anti-Israel Activists To Anti-Israel Voters: Don’t Worry, We Pretty Much Own Obama
* Obama’s Anti-Hamas Stance Short On Change And Hope, Long On Rank Hypocrisy