This is rapidly approaching Howard Dean “evenhanded approach” levels. In the contest between the more popular “Zionist” euphemism and the Juan Cole preferred “pro-Likud” nudge-wink label for Jews, the Senator seems to have made his choice:
The most disturbing aspect of the past two and a half years has not been the extent to which the peace process has been disrupted by the policies and actions of extremists in the Middle East, but the extent to which anti-peace rhetoric and policies continue to dominate U.S. politics. This is nowhere more evident than debates in Congress and in congressional election campaigns. Not only did the Republicans gain control of Congress in 1994, but many of those Republicans who assumed key leadership positions were allies of the pro-Likud faction in the U.S. Jewish community.
I think there is a strain within the pro-Israel community that says unless you adopt an unwavering pro-Likud approach to Israel, then you’re anti-Israel, and that can’t be the measure of our friendship with Israel… If we cannot have an honest dialogue about how do we achieve these goals, then we’re not going to make progress… Understandably, because of the pressure that Israel is under, I think the US pro-Israel community is sometimes a little more protective or concerned about opening up that conversation.
Again, it’s not necessarily that Obama is actively anti-Israel – although things are getting kind of dicey there. It’s that the people he surrounds himself with are so far gone that he just can’t tell the difference between reasonable discourse and euphemistic anti-Jewish catchphrases routinely used by the most open of anti-Semites [link goes to Google search of davidduke.com, as per MR's "no links to vicious anti-Semites" policy].
Critical leftist academics like Cole and IR realists like Walt and Mearsheimer have nothing in common except their unseemly obsession with the Jewish State. They’ve already managed to get one-third of Americans to believe their double loyalty canard. Just imagine the heights their scapegoating can reach when they get to use the White House as their bully pulpit.
* Not Credible [MR]
* Reminder: Hysterical Anti-Zionism Doesn’t Get You Off The Hook For Bigoted Anti-Semitism [MR]
* Juan Cole on Who Caused the Iraq War: [Volokh]
* Obama’s Foreign Policy Advisers Not Exactly Fans Of The Jewish State (Plus: Brzezinski Snubs Israel After Tete-A-Tete With Assad) [MR]
* We’re Considering the Possibility that Walt and Mearsheimer Might Not Be Faking Their Ignorance [MR]
* Obama: Pro-Israel needn’t be pro-Likud [JPost]
* 1 in 3 Americans: US Jews more loyal to Israel [JPost]
* Obama: "I’m Not Saying Israel Should Have To Take Risks For Peace, But…"
* Obama Complains About Smears From Jewish Groups… And He’s Not Totally Wrong (Plus: He’s Still Kind Of Wrong)
* Least Persuasive Pro-Obama Appeal Yet