About 120 daily truckloads of basic foods and medicine have been allowed through the crossing into Gaza since the Hamas takeover in June, but Defense Minister Ehud Barak ordered a halt to all border traffic Thursday night in attempt to halt a surge of rocket fire on southern Israel… International air organizations expressed concern over the closure of the crossings… The UN Relief and Works Agency, which distributes cooking oil, flour and sugar to hundreds of thousands of Gazans, said it had about two months worth of supplies in its warehouses. However, Gazans need to supplement the basics with nutritious foods, such as fruits, vegetables and proteins, which have become increasingly expensive and hard to find, said UNRWA spokesman Christopher Gunness… Defense Ministry spokesman Shlomo Dror said Gazans had sufficient stocks of food so that no one would go hungry, adding that about 9,000 cows were allowed into the Strip in the past two months. “There is a government decision that there will not be a humanitarian crisis in Gaza,” Dror said.
In fairness to them, they did also complain about the lack of fuel. Which is a lie. But at least it’s in the ballpark of what would actually constitute a humanitarian crisis. It’s almost like they’ll come up with utter nonsense if it’s the only way to criticize Israeli self-defense measures. Meanwhile, the rest of the UN is also springing into action:
The UN Human Rights Council will hold an emergency meeting next week to examine whether Israel is committing abuses in the Palestinian territories, officials said Friday. The special session of the 47-member council was called after a petition was submitted by Syria and Pakistan, on behalf of Arab and Islamic countries, according to a UN memo obtained by The Associated Press.
Maybe they should spend a little less time actively helping the Palestinians manufacture a nonexistent humanitarian crisis and a little more time trying to figure out how their ostensibly malnourished wards have the time to launch barrages of rockets and bombs on Israeli schools and hospitals. Not that Syria really needs to ask, what with how they host the meetings where the attacks get planned.
* Ban Ki-moon: End Gaza violence, blockades [JPost]
* Palestinians Shut Down Generator To Create Gaza Humanitarian Crisis, UN Blames Israel [MR]
* Iran, Hamas, And Islamic Jihad Meet In Syria To Plan Mideast Turmoil [MR]
* Arab League: Israel Has To Move Behind 1967 Lines, Give Up Fence Protecting Itself Behind 1967 Lines
* UNRWA Pours Millions Into Terrorism, Blames Israel (Plus: UNRWA Complains That Israel Is Blocking UNRWA Funding. Hmm)
* Benny Elon’s Israel Initiative Neglects Possibility That Arab States, UN Uninterested In Rehabilitating Palestinian Society